Saturday 29 June 2013

When I grow up.....

I'd like to be
  • a. A bear
  • b. A truck driver
  • c. Head of state
Sadly only one of those is possible here in England. I'll give you a clue, short of a lot of dressing-up or surgery I can't achieve a and because we have an unelected head of state and I'm not related to them I can never achieve c. I've long been a staunch supporter of Republic and the amazing work they do to raise the profile, reason and arguments behind the need for a truly democratic system. But, what has tipped my annoyance in recent days is the news that the Queen is to be given a 'pay-rise' that beats inflation and is probably considerably above that which any public sector worker can expect to receive. According to the Daily Mail The Queen is to receive a 5% pay-rise that will take the burden to the tax-payer up to £33.3 million. Yes £33.3 million a year. The cost to each citizen is 53p, this might not sound like a lot but it is the principle. With the article highlighting a phone bill of £200,000 and a food bill of £1.2 million I am astounded. I cannot believe that there are people who genuinely believe that the public should continue to foot the bill for what seems to be a privileged lifestyle that we will never enjoy. Whilst around us there are cuts to benefits and public sector services. For example; it is thought that there is a shortage of about 5,000 midwives according to the Huffington Post, could this money not be better spent here? Improving the lives of many ordinary citizens at a vulnerable time in their lives.

When it was revealed in the Daily Mail that Kate is expected to give birth in a private suite that could cost up to £10,000 it brings it home. To quote Disraeli in his novel Sybil, source: Sybil (novel) in Wikiquotes retrieved 29/06/13 from: http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Sybil_%28novel%29,
Two nations; between whom there is no intercourse and no sympathy; who are as ignorant of each other's habits, thoughts, and feelings, as if they were dwellers in different zones, or inhabitants of different planets; who are formed by a different breeding, are fed by a different food, are ordered by different manners, and are not governed by the same laws: the rich and the poor.
We are not the same, I am under no illusion. Republic ask 'shouldn't every child be #bornEqual a fair question but when we see 'ordinary' women facing midwife shortages and maternity closures whilst Kate enjoys a £10,000 birth it is difficult to see how every child is born equal. In the 21st century is it not time to call time on this outdated system and create true equality?

So, when I grow up I have decided I want option d, to be equal. Properly equal, I don't want to be ruled by someone who hasn't even been born yet. Stop and imagine if this was a job application, would you accept it? This is why I will continue to support #Republic and #bornEqual (the Born Equal campaign).

No comments:

Post a Comment