Saturday 9 February 2013

Feminism and the surname

As a married feminist I often get asked why I changed my name. I also get asked whether feminists should or normally get married. The first thing I normally point out is that I am one feminist and can not speak for all feminists, as they are a hugely diverse group (we are not a hive mind!). The second thing is that for me marriage was about the relationship, and the legalities that go with marriage. To consider the issue of the surname, there were a number of options:
  • Keep my surname, that no one could ever seem to spell correctly
  • Keep my surname and my husband to share it, he was prepared to take my surname (still then have the spelling and pronunciation issue)
  • Merge the surnames, now with our combination that would sound so bizarre and laughable!
  • Take my husband's surname: easier to say and spell (perhaps what is 'expected')
  • Create a whole new name
The last one is perhaps the most interesting and not something I had thought about at the time. If I were to marry again I think this is perhaps the most equal and fair route to take. Also the most interesting, and creates a truly blank canvas for your 'new' family. However, back to the other options, for me it did not matter whether I took my husband's name or kept my own as neither had come from women or from a free choice. My own surname came from my father, and from his father and his father and so on. For my husband it was the same. To marry again I think the equal (although not easiest - with regards to deed poll etc) option would be a new surname.

No comments:

Post a Comment